Whether it’s at work or just in life in general everybody suffers from stress these days. Whilst a little can help some people focus generally speaking stress sin’t good for us. So I thought I would share six quick tips to help you reduce stress in your life.
1. Replace coffee with Green Tea – When stressed we often reach for a sugary drink or something with caffeine to give us a quick boost. Instead of reaching for the coffee or energy drinks try a green tea instead. Yes it contains caffeine (but only half as much as coffee) for your energy boost but it also has plenty of health benefits and contains lots of anti-oxidants. It also contains theanine, an amino acid that has a calming and soothing effect on the nervous system.
2. Listen to Music – Playing calm music has a positive effect on the brain and body, can lower blood pressure, and reduce cortisol, a hormone linked to stress. So take a 5 minute break and listen to some calming classical music
3. Exercise – This doesn’t mean head to the gym, however if you can get out at lunch time, why not. Even a minute worth of exercise can get your blood moving and release those magic endorphins. So have a walk round the office or up and down the stairs r even just stand up and have a good stretch.
4. Breath – Shall breaths cause stress but deep breathing helps to oxygenate your blood and clear your mind. Try sitting upright with your feet flat on the ground and your hands on your knees taking in deep breaths and concentrating on filling your lungs and expanding your chest for a few minutes.
5. Create a List – And not to help you manage your time. When we tick an item off a list the brain releases endorphins, which help to combat stress. I suggest you start by writing a list of all the things you have achieved as well as the things you have to do still. That way you will have a bunch of things to tick off already to release those endorphins.
6. Sleep – Sleep is the best way to reduce stress. When we get stressed out we have a high level of cortisol in our body. The best way for the body to combat this is through sleep. So if you are a little stressed out today, turn the TV off early and make sure you get a good night sleep.
Hopefully these 6 quick tips will help you combat your stress.
Have a stress free day